Sunday, March 16, 2008

Eating well

For Christmas, my brother Matt and his wife Terri got Kevin a subscription to Eating Well magazine, and we are head over heels in love with it! It's got fantastic recipes, and we especially like the weekday "in a hurry" meals.

We've tried two recipes, first was the Skillet Tuna Noodle Casserole, which was surprisingly delicious, although it was missing something...we think salt. But alas, we are trying to reorient our palates to less sodium, so we didn't add anymore. However, a dash of cayenne pepper really boosted it up!

Then last night I made Chicken and Sundried Tomato Orzo. It was totally amazing! We steamed up some fresh organic broccoli for a side dish, which we haven't had in a really long time. We usually just buy frozen broccoli, and the difference in the flavor was astounding! Yay for the arrival of spring produce!

One note, the portions were gigantic! It said it served four, so we took a quarter each, and it was enormous! I probably would have said six-eight servings, depending on what else was being served with it. A successful meal anyhow. Next up is Kung Pao Tofu. First time cooking with tofu, so we shall see!

5 comments:

Adam said...

It's good that you've discovered Eating Well. Haven't we been telling you and Kevin about it for years? We've been enjoying it for quite some time. Our favorite recipes are Vegetarian Hot Pot, Multi-grain Waffles, and Grilled Rosemary-Salmon Spedini, among others. We use Eating Well at least three times a week. Tonight we're having this.

Welcome to the Eating Well family!

Erin said...

Ha! Now you can join us in our healthy Eating Well craze. We have always told you guys about it and have even thought about getting if for you but didn't think you would like it. I guess we were wrong! Their web site is great, as are their cook books. Tonight we will be having Grass Fed Beef Brisket. Yum!

Meghan said...

We knew you guys used it, but didn't really know much about it...at least I didn't. But we're psyched about it!

Kevin said...

I think you guys have given us some dessert recipes in the past. The chocolate zucchini bread recipe came from Eating Well, right? And I think I remember a Pumpkin Chocolate Bundt Cake in my past...mmmm.

I've used the website a couple times for dinner recipes, but having the magazine made it easier to think of things to make. Too bad it only comes once every couple months. Oh well, I'm looking forward to some Kung Pao, Midge!

Erin said...

I love orzo - it's the ultimate convenience food! Ready in a snap, plus you can pretty much clean out the fridge and throw it all in for a tasty meal! Nummy.