Monday, December 8, 2008

Getting into the holiday spirit!

Over Thanksgiving weekend, Kevin and I picked out our Christmas tree from his parents' yard, where they once upon a time had a Christmas tree farm. Since we moved to Seattle, we've made it a tradition to get our tree from them, get it back home and then the next night decorate it together while listening to our vast collection of Christmas music and sipping eggnog! It is one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving weekend, and so great that Kevin and I are developing some traditions of our own for our little family!
Mark had some trees in mind, and the first one he showed us was the big winner! It was probably a 20 foot tree that we just took the top off, but it was crowding out some other smaller trees, so we hacked it!

And by "we" I mean Kevin. He got the saw going and had the tree down so quickly, this was the only picture I got of the whole thing! I nearly got beheaded by the falling tree!

And the guys did the hard work of lugging it back to the house. I am merely the photographer.

Here is our cute tree! We managed to only have to bring it in the house once due to our genius idea of actually measuring how tall it could be this time. Last year, we brought it in and out like three times. Yeesh. We had a lovely evening decorating, listening to music, and getting into the spirit!

This weekend I went off with my friends Jeff and Kate to Swanson's Nursery in Ballard. They needed to pick out some new shrubbery for their front yard, and since Kevin's is in the throes of finals week, I tagged along. This was the view that greeted us as we pulled into the parking lot. I love winter skies!
We also met the reindeer. They are very short. I had no idea! And antlers are truly a strange thing.

Then on Sunday I went to Bainbridge again to celebrate my sister Lauren's birthday. I had a very nice visit, good food, and we all spent bits and pieces of the day decorating the tree there. Lots of Christmas going on! :)

Kevin had three finals today, and has one tomorrow, and a last one on Wednesday. I am very excited for him to be done with this quarter, and to get to hang out with him again! Now I'm off to hopefully finish up a Christmas knitted project!

No comments: