Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekend Update

Whew, what a weekend! We had an awesome time celebrating the nephews' 1st and 10th birthday on Saturday. Lots of people there, including Terri's mom who flew in from Baltimore! We had yummy burgers and awesome cakes and cupcakes, and enjoyed seeing our little men being celebrated and opening presents and playing games. Here are my fav's from the party.

I made Jackson's cake, vegan chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting! Yum! I was really excited to make it and have his first cake not be full of crazy yucky ingredients, and this seemed like the best cake for the messiest possibilities.

We also had this gorgeous cake from Blackbird Bakery, and also really awesome cupcakes, which Kevin and I were the designated owners of after the party...still have one left!





A future croqueter!


Yummy homemade pizza made by Uncle Nick!



The lovely Emma Anne came out for the party! And that husband of mine looks like he would make a good daddy, eh? :)
Jackson burst into tears when we sang Happy Birthday, but recovered quickly and starting testing out my cake. He was quite discerning! Slowly but surely, though, he got into it and got a little messy!

Nate couldn't resist have a cupcake mashed in his face by Auntie Lo!

My favorite cake picture!



Lo gives Jackson a hand!




The aftermath! Lots of others couldn't resist nibbles, he didn't eat all that!

Presents!




Uncle Joe was super stoked when Jackson took an immediate liking to the skateboard! He loooooved riding it!

Overall an excellent birthday party! It was fun to have so many people around who love Jackson and Nate! They are awesome guys!

Sunday morning, we headed back to Seattle, and I headed to meet my friend Danielle for the Seattle Cheese Festival. We try to go to this every year and always eat way too much and have tons of fun! There are just rows upon rows of free cheese samples, which as everyone probably knows is perhaps my most favorite thing in the world. MMMMMMM, cheese! So we stuffed ourselves silly, armed with crackers and water to pair with the cheese. We ate for like an hour, and then called it quits and decided to go for a little walk to offset a couple of samples in our bellies.

Well, Danielle and I are known for going on epic walks together, and this was no exception. What began as a walk to the Sculpture Park north of downtown turned into a 10 mile trek across Queen Anne's western side, up to the top of the Magnolia Bluff, down into Ballard, and back up to Phinney Ridge! In flip flops! Yikes! We are both a little sunburned and have tired feet, but it was really fun walking through all the different neighborhoods and burning off some of our gluttonous morning! We stopped for cold beer and sandwiches in Ballard and then parted ways for the day.

After I got back up to our house, Kevin wanted to go for a walk around Green Lake, and somehow that seemed like a good idea. So 15 miles walked yesterday! I have incredible blisters on the balls of my feet, but I feel good too!

Now we are about to sit down for some delicious smelling slow cooked beef stew! Mmmmm mmmmm!


4 comments:

Adam said...

If this party was Saturday I'm having trouble imagining how there is one cupcake still left.

Meghan said...

Because there were 7 of them and they are the size of my face :)

Kevin said...

...and Nate won 2 of 3 croquet games I played against him! I got one, though.

And I still feel stuffed full of yummy food. Happy birthday, Jackson and Nate!

Adam, you'll be comforted to know I just polished off the last cupcake.

Adam said...

Well, I wasn't really buying Meghan's excuse, so I'm glad you did what needed doing.