Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It keeps you running!

Heads Up - This is one long post about running!

Since we moved, I have not once gone running. In fact, the exercise department in general has completely fallen by the wayside, other than a handful of walks around the neighborhood. I've been feeling lethargic and lazy. I needed to step up and make a change. One of my goals for the year is to run a 10k race, and if I have any hope of doing that, I need to get running! :)

So after work, I got into my running clothes, figured out a path around the neighborhood, and set off. It was drizzling, but pleasantly cool out. And the first 10 minutes....well, they sucked really really really bad. I have not been running in 3 months. Yikes! My lungs were burning, my legs didn't want to hit a stride, and I was not enjoying the feeling that I had let all my hard work from last year waste away. Then at about minute 12, my lungs started to clear out, and I hit that movement of the legs where you feel like you can just keep running forever. I love that feeling.

Now, let me back up a minute, and disclose a little something about myself. I have always been a hater of runners, running, and would take any opportunity I could to make fun of runners. After all, we're all going to die, why would you want to be all hot and sweaty and out of breath. Yuck. A couple years ago I tried running, would go for about 5 minutes, and think, what the hell is this??? I think the problem was that I was RUNNING, instead of starting at a slower pace, a gentle jog. I gave it up after a few weeks.

Last year though, I decided to give it another shot. I had lost 65 lbs before out wedding, and thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad anymore. I started out just walking about Green Lake, and one day I just felt like I was ready to break into a jog. Eventually, I just decided to see how far I could make it. I gave myself a 10 minute minimum, and after that I could go back to walking if I needed to. Surprise, surprise, I didn't need to stop! I just kept going, and for the first time since middle school, I ran more than a mile. 3 miles in fact. And it just sort of stuck after that. I started to understand the runner's high, and looked forward to running.

I never really got a routine down, I would just get the urge once or twice a week, but I really loved it. Then we moved, and I no longer had the lake right next to me. And winter arrived, it gets dark so early, and I just hadn't made it a priority to go after work. And I didn't really know the neighborhood, and felt uncomfortable going running here before I really had my bearings.

Today at work, I just decided, enough is enough, time to get off my duff! And away I went! My legs are stiff, but it felt really great to be outside and doing something good for myself. I went about 2.5 miles, about 30 minutes. I've got work to do! I saw a 10k race around Lake Union in August, and think I need to just register for it, so I don't slack off again. Never got around to doing a 5k last year, can't let that happen again! So I'm going to check in every once in awhile here, track my progress, and keep myself accountable. Whew, sorry for the long rambling post! Happy trails everyone, and anyone who cares to join me for a run, let me know! :)

1 comment:

Sweet TL said...

Lets find some time to run together! In October I was doing about a 15 minute mile - Time to get back on the horse myself. I might even be able to do the 10k with you in August. I want my weight to start with a 1 by my birthday! :)