Sunday, February 5, 2012

More Running!

I think one of the things that will keep me motivated to keep up on running and exercising is to post about my achievements. It feels good to say I went for a 3 mile run, or that I ran for a longer time than I had the week before. I've found my friends and coworkers see these updates, and they ask me about how the running is going, and it keeps me accountable to my goals. Hopefully it doesn't annoy anyone, but it is definitely helping me stay focused.

Yesterday was an absolutely stunning day, the weather warmed up to the low 60's, the sun was shining, and I had the whole day ahead of me to do whatever I wanted.  With Kevin studying for the Professional Engineering exam in April, I've found getting out of the house is a good way for me to now bug him!  So I figured I would push myself and see how long I could jog without taking a break.  Earlier this week I used an iPhone app to track my normal route's distance, and found that I was going almost 3 miles, at about 10 minutes a mile.  I am really glad I checked, as I thought I had been going a bit farther than that, and it also gives me a good baseline to track my progress from.

So I got going at a nice easy pace, and did my normal route in about 3 minutes less than I did on Thursday.  I was pretty excited about that, since I was still a little sore from my last jog! I wasn't that worn out, so I decided to do my route in reverse, and see how far I could go.  I managed to keep jogging for another 15 minutes, so my total jog time was 45 minutes!  I think that is the longest I have jogged without stopping since I was in high school!  I was really proud of myself for pushing through to a new distance, it's so easy to do the normal route and not really push. Then I did another 45 minute walk around the neighborhood from there, since the sun was shining I didn't want to go back right away.

Last night we went to friend's house for a Reuben sandwich party! Adam, the host, has been craving them and decided he might as well throw a party, because who doesn't love a Reuben?  Well, Kevin and I came to the conclusion that neither of us had ever actually had one before, and turns out, they are stupendously good!  I definitely took advantage of the fact that I'd run 4.5 miles that day to stuff my face silly with them! It got me thinking about what other kinds of funny parties we could have, since I am terrible about ever actually throwing parties! So in addition to running, I hereby declare 2012 to be the year of gatherings at our house!  

No comments: