Since it is autumn, my most favorite time of the year, I decided my page needed an update to its old boring look with colors I never really liked anyway! Let me know if there is any font color that wigs you out or anything like that!
Speaking of colder weather, we bit the bullet this year and decided to winterize our drafty windows! Kevin did most of the work, cuz he's all husbandly and whatnot! I helped move the fridge, and sweep out the nasties that had built up behind it the last three years. If you haven't moved your fridge in awhile, you might consider giving it a whirl!
The pictures I took were frankly not that exciting, since it is clear plastic that goes up over the window, but we are hopeful that it will keep our place a tad toastier.
We harvested the last of our basil today and Kevin made a delicious batch that we enjoyed for dinner tonight. We have 4 more batches in the freezer, which should just about get us through the winter with our pesto cravings! We just have a few tomatoes left that we think we'll cut and bring inside to ripen, and then that's it for the garden! I never seem to get around to planting anything for the winter. Is it too late? :) Anyone know something other than tulips that can go in now and produce something in the winter months? I'm sad to see that last of our garden go!
I finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle the other day. I have to say, it was an incredibly enjoyable read! I was hesitant to pick it up for a long time because I thought it would be preachy for some reason. But I fell in love with reading about the families trials and triumphs of living as locally as they could for a year. It inspired me to try harder to think about where my food is coming from, and made me want chickens sooooooo bad! I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a little inspiration and motivation to eat well for their bodies and their communities!
And finally, GO RAYS!!!! They are headed to the World Series against the Phillies! I'm so excited!
5 comments:
Chard and kale can grow all year 'round here. Sometimes spinach. I've heard broccoli, too.
I just planted a bunch of greens today.
Yay Rays!
And Garlic. So it must not have frosted down in Seattle yet, huh? We have a had a couple of hard frosts here. If you put those green tomatoes in paper bags, they might ripen. Fun.
You plant garlic, but it's not harvestable until summer. I was talking about things you can harvest over the winter.
I like your new spiffy banner!
Thanks for the tips guys! We are gonna get some winter greens in there soon! I must have stuff growing year round!
I'm excited about the banner, Erin inspired me to learn how to get those things looking pretty! :)
Post a Comment