Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lovely autumn arrives

We are finally seeming to slow down on our activities, just in time with the cooling weather and shorter days. I love fall, it is my favorite time of the year. I love the last few sunny days when the weather is getting crisp, I love pumpkins and pie and Halloween, I love that my birthday is just around the corner, and that I can pull out all my cold weather clothing and have an excuse to get a cozy sweater and learn how to knit some socks! Autumn is the bestest!

This weekend literally blew by, with some wacky weather with it! I had to spend all day at the DOL getting my new ID with my new name on it! Hooray! Afterward, Kevin and I decided it was time to get out in the windy weather and went for a walk. We decided to see a part of the neighborhood we hadn't explored yet, and mapped our route out to pass by several parks. We ended at the Sunset Hill Park overlooking the Sound. It was great fun!

Nearly blown away outside Ballard High!

A really fun park had this zip line swing, I couldn't resist it!

The view from Sunset Hill Park, overlooking the Puget Sound.

Kevin had a hankering to bake this week, and delighted me with a Raspberry Tart, made with raspberries that we had frozen over the summer! Yay! It was so delicious, and so awesome to eat some of our produce that we thought ahead to store. He also made chocolate chip cookie bars! What a husband!
My big accomplishment this week was in knitting. There are a great many babies in my life currently and several who are due to make their appearance in the world in the next week and months! I've knitted a couple hats from the Stitch and Bitch book, called the umbilical cord hat. It is a great pattern, very easy and so nice to give something handmade to these babies to keep their precious heads warm. Corbin sported his on his first camping trip!

While it is a great pattern, I've been yearning to push my knitting abilities beyond reading a pattern, and so I plunged into altering a pattern for the first time! I increased the size of the hat by about 25% so that an older baby can wear it, and changed the stitches from straight knit stitch to alternating knit and purl stitch every two stitches. This results in a rib stitch, which makes the hat a little cozier. I feel very proud of myself for working through the difficulties and have renewed desire to GET KNITTING! I have 4 new babies coming into my life indirectly that I would like to give some knitted love to! This one will be going to one of my coworkers who is about to become a grandpa for the first time! His daughter is due any minute now!
Lacking a real life baby model, Hobbes was a wonderful stand in!

Tomorrow we are making Irish Stew with lamb! Hooray for cold weather foods!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow, getting creative with the knitting! I was just wondering where you were in your skills when I was at my mom's shop. Those hats look pretty good...Corbin is growing really fast...hint hint :-)