Friday, March 26, 2010

Nights I don't want to cook...

often end up being the nights I make some of best creations. Fridays are rough for me, I'm always completely wiped out from the week, and the last thing I want to do is cook. On tonight's menu was supposed to be my special butternut squash and mushroom risotto, but standing at the stove for 2 hours did not sound fun.

Kevin had some leftovers from earlier in the week that he was fine eating, and I had a hankering for some pasta. And tuna. Didn't know if those went together other than tuna casserole, which funnily enough we ate earlier this week! :) But together they do go, and I now have a new favorite lazy night dish to throw together! I found this recipe on Eating Well for Tuna Pomodoro. I left out the anchovies since we don't keep them on hand, and added in onion, mushrooms, an extra clove of garlic, and substituted fresh basil for dried and added oregano. Topped off with grated Parmesan cheese, and I am one happy eater tonight!

My "Recipe"

2 cups egg noodles (it's what we have!)
one 8 oz can diced tomatoes
one 7 oz can tuna
2 cloves garlic, minced coarsely
1/2 cup diced onion
2 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon of capers
1 teaspoon each :crushed red pepper flakes
dried oregano
dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

Saute garlic and onion till aromatic and turning translucent. Add red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Stir for 30 seconds or so. Add can of tomatoes, heat through. Add mushrooms and capers, and let this simmer to thicken up the sauce a bit. I added a dash of half and half, but didn't feel like following through with it on second thought. May try that another night. Add the tuna near the end, and heat through. Combine with the noodles you cooked without me mentioning to. :) Top with freshly grated parmesan, salt and pepper. YUM!

No comments: