Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Productive Weekend!

Our little chicks are growing quickly, so we took advantage of the great weather this weekend to get some work done on the coop, and also I got many projects done around the garden! It's really great changing to face of our yard week by week, and I love owning my own space that I can do whatever I like with!
Friday evening, I got busy ripping out some excess candy tuft to put in a little herb garden. There was already a great rosemary bush planted at the top, and it's right off the deck so it will hopefully encourage us to use fresh herbs in our cooking a lot!

After work on Friday, we made a visit to the Re Store, which is a great place for used building materials. We found a bunch of 2x4's and cedar boards we'll use for siding. We picked it all up on Saturday, and actually managed to swap out the 2x4's we'd picked for some brand new ones that had been dropped off that morning!
Yay for salvaged lumber!


The site of the coop, at the top of the backyard

We got the site all measured off and squared with string, and felt very proud of managing to get the right angles on our sloped yard!

Sitting inside the "coop"!

Today, Neal came over to help out. He has a bit more experience than Kevin does with construction, and it was awesome to have his help. Not to mention, it gave me time to work on other things around the yard! :) Thanks Neal!
Digging holes for the pier blocks.

Putting the fancy saw horse we got from my brother Matt was definitely the most difficult portion of the day!


Making the first cut! Many times he was reminded, "Measure twice, cut once!" :)

First post up!


While the boys were busy building, I got lots done around the yard. I put in the zucchini and cucumber in their awesome bed, repotted tomatoes, planted a fuchsia and some lavender cutting, and weeded one of the big garden beds!

Happy little tomatoes! Leggy girls, eh?!

Kevin got our rain barrel attached to the gutter today, too. Hopefully we can get it filled a bit before the heat of summer is fully upon us!

We have a giant sage plant that I am slowly cutting back to make room for more veggies, and am trying out drying them for the first time. We'll see how it goes!

Kevin is off to California for a training session, so I'm in charge of the girls this week! Hopefully we'll be able to get a lot more done on the coop next weekend, and hopefully the weather will be nice for us!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Oh yes, I am very proud of my single post chicken coop. Thanks NZA!

Next weekend we won't have so many materials to gather/find, we can just focus on building.