Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reading List 2012

Two years ago I decided to try to read 52 books in a year.  I met that goal and exceeded it by a few, but by the end of the year I was tired both of reading and keeping track.  So last year I didn't write down what I read at all, and probably only read 20 books.  I'm disappointed that I didn't keep track, and have had a few friends mention that they liked seeing what I was reading and had used it for book inspiration for themselves.  So, I am reinstating the book log for 2012!  However, I am not setting a reading goal for number of books consumed, but instead would like to say a little bit about the book as I finish and hopefully that will be a happy medium for me!



Started in 2011, but finished yesterday is my first book of the year, Case Histories by Kate Atkinson.  This is the second novel I have read by Atkinson, and I must say, I think I am an official devotee to her writing. The novel follows 3 different cold cases in Great Britain from 1970's to the 1990's, each of which is connected through a series of dots by Private Investigator Jackson Brodie.  It is a mystery novel, but without the suspense and angst that I often feel overwhelms excellent prose.  Atkinson at once draws you into the mystery of each case, while also developing increasingly interesting characters.  I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, with the exception of one case that she doesn't develop nearly as thoroughly as the other two.  It also wraps up entirely too quickly for my taste, but beyond that, it was simply a really good read.  I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a mystery with a little more depth that the usual cat and mouse.  It was also made into a television series, which has promptly gone onto my Netflix queue!

No comments: