Kevin and I took off for a wonderful 4 day weekend up in Bellingham to take care of Adam and Erin's dog and cat, and we had such a great time! A much needed break from our life and work, and some awesome snow time to boot! I picked up a copy of Muriel Barberry's second novel before taking off, remembering I read the first one on a similar trip to Bellingham!
This novel is very unique, in that there isn't really a driving plot so much, other than the main character, who is a renowned food critic, has learned he is dying from heart failure and has but 2 days to live. He, being a gourmand, has a flavor that is haunting his memory, and takes us on a journey through his life to discover what this taste is before he is gone. Interspersed throughout are vignettes of sorts from various people in his life; from his children who view him as a tyrant who never loved them; to his wife who never loved her children as much a she loved her husband and yearned for anytime with him; to the statue of Venus in his study and his cat and dog. Each one with a slice of their view of him, not many of which are particularly nice views!
While it was difficult to wrap my head around at times as the style of writing doesn't immediately tell the reader who is narrating, the prose is singularly beautiful. There are passages about tomatoes that I had to read out loud, several times, to different people because I couldn't get enough of how gorgeously Barberry captures the essence of eating a garden tomato. Another passage reflects on the critic's summers with his grandparents, and eating grilled sardines and never getting enough of them, or trips with his mother to Morocco where the highlight was always the bread the family shared after a day of playing in the sunshine. Each of the memories brings him a step closer to the mysterious flavor.
Admittedly, I was surprised greatly by the final chapter where he reveals his desire. I won't spoil it, but it really wasn't what I was expecting, and was a slight disappointment. However, it was a gorgeous book and I highly recommend it, especially foodies!
No comments:
Post a Comment