Friday, August 8, 2014

6 weeks


Talia is 6 weeks old today! She is smiling lots more, sleeping really well at night, refusing to nap during the day except in arms or on the hammock, learning how to get her digestive system to work a little better, slowly but surely gaining weight, and getting prettier and prettier by the hour! :)

We've had a pretty great week! While I'm still not loving breastfeeding, and she is still a super weird eater, I've basically given in to the fact that this is the way it's going to be for a while! I'm getting much better at nursing her on the go, which opens up a lot of flexibility! I still can't believe how difficult and emotional it is, but I'm so glad that so far I've been able to nourish her from my own body and give her such a good start at life!

We had an island adventure, visiting all of the grandparents, plus many aunties and uncles! Talia and my youngest brother Joseph finally got to meet! He lives in San Diego, and doesn't get to come home too often! 

Kevin and I went on our first date! We celebrated our 6 year anniversary on Sunday, and wanted to go out for our traditional BBQ and ice cream date and reread our vows to each other. Kevin's entire family got to babysit!  We left a bit of breastmilk in case she got super cranky, and left her in the very capable hands of her Shaffer family! I of course cried before we even left the house, but once we were on our way, it was good to just have a little alone time with my husband!

It was a much more enjoyable trip to the island than our last visit! It is amazing how much we have all changed in a few weeks! Talia is getting much easier to handle, even though she is a pretty cranky baby, and I've turned an emotional corner for sure! I basically sobbed the whole time we were there last time, and this time it was just a lot of fun!

Gramma Pat gets some loves!
Grandpa Larry tries to calm our little fuss-bucket!

Content on Grammy Susan!

The whole Shaffer family managed a photo!  It was awesome having everyone home together!  I think my favorite part was how into the baby Corbin is!  He asked so many sweet questions, and at one point said the cutest thing, ever!  I was nursing her on the couch, and he said, "She's soooo cute when she's milking!"  Love it!

We also had a few adventures at home. Kevin ended up giving her a bottle for the first time the other day. We wanted to introduce it, so she will hopefully take one when we need her to!  It was actually really hard for me, I guess nursing her isn't all that bad! It was so good to give Kevin the experience of feeding her, though! And she had no issues taking the bottle. She guzzles those couple ounces right down! It made me a little envious of bottle feeders, because it was so quick!!!

We also bought a new car!  We had initially thought we could get away with only having one car for awhile, but the closer we got to the end of Kevin's leave, the more the logistics of it all seemed to point to us needing a second vehicle!  So after Kevin did a lot of homework and test drove some cars on his own, we all headed to Kirkland the other day for me to try them out!

We spent the whole day trying to decide between an Accord and an Elantra. I really wanted the elantra, I loved the way it drove, it felt comfortable, and was not a huge car! As a pretty uncertain and new driver, I wanted to feel confident! While the accord had many pros, at the end of the day I was completely in love with the elantra, and after Kevin took both cars for one last spin, he agreed!  So now I have my first car!!! And she is a beaut!  Maybe Talia will end up driving it!

Talia was a complete trooper the whole day, only for really cranky while we were signing the paper work, and then when Kevin was driving home she had an absolute meltdown and we ended up pulling off in a parking lot so I could nurse her a little! 

We also had tickets to go the the Seattle Reign women's soccer game that night, so after a quick pit stop at home, we headed into the city to catch the second half!

Now we are trying to relish our last couple days with Kevin home with us! It's going to be really hard having him go back to work, I've relied on him so much, and he's going to miss Tali like crazy!  We will have a whole new routine to try to get used to! Hopefully in the next few weeks she and I will settle into things, and maybe, just maybe she'll take a nap in her crib again someday!! For now, this is how we get it done:

No comments: