Our little lady has made some serious changes! She's a smiling machine these days. She loves it when Kevin walks in the door, when we yawn, pretty much anytime I kiss her or lift her in the air, and is social smiling for others a ton!
We had our first giggles, but true to her form, she is very discerning with sharing them! I've gotten a few good ones when nibbling on her tummy, and a couple days ago she was moved by something while playing on her activity mat and giggled on her own! We keep trying to pry more out of her, but she just isn't entertained by us, I guess! ;)
She rolls over every once in a while from her tummy to her back, but it isn't consistent at all yet, and she still gets very frustrated during tummy time! However, she tolerates it for much longer stretches now, sometimes smiles while doing it even! She's also gaining a ton of control of her movements, and has started pushing her butt up in the air with her feet to scoot forward!
She is soooooo close to rolling from her back to her tummy! It is going to happen any day now. She's constantly arching her back and rolling on her side, especial when she is trying to reach something. She's figured out that she can spiral her body using her head as a pivot point to get to what she wants though, so she hasn't been forced into rolling over to get at something! It is so cute to watch her doing it! She also rolls on her side a lot in her sleep, so I think her first official toll might be during a nap or nighttime, which should thoroughly freak her out!
She has discovered her feet, and tries so hard to eat her toes anytime she is naked! Toes are yummy, after all!
Sleep. Ah the mysteries of sleep and babies! She's been pretty good lately at night, having a lot of 7-8 hour stretches. Which are great, except I still have to get up and pump, and then lay awake wondering if she is going to wake up before my boobs are satusfactorily filled for her! Last night was the first time it went haywire. She went to bed at 7:45, and I woke up at 12:45 needing to pump. I sometimes will just pump some off to decrease the discomfort if it has been a long time and seems likely she will wake up soon. So that's what I did, and then couldn't fall back asleep! She woke up at 2, and I nursed her, but she just wouldn't go back to sleep after that! I tried everything, including giving her a bottle of the freshly pumped milk from earlier that night, to no avail. I finally cried uncle, and had to ask Kevin to take a turn with her so I could get a little sleep! So he took over at 3:30, and I have no idea how long he was up but I didn't wake up again until 7:30 when she started rustling!
Anyway, long story short, I never know what kind of sleep we will get! She does seem to be liking her 7:00-7:30 bedtime though, and has gone down pretty easily then! I prefer that she wake up at least once a night, but sometimes she goes straight through til morning (especially on the weekends when Kevin is around to help with night shifts...she sleeps great those nights and he rarely has to get up with her! Ha!).
Naps are a totally different monster. She was napping really well, giving me at least one long 2-3 hour nap a day with 2 shorter ones. The last week or so that went away, replaced by the 20 minute cat nap. That ain't cutting it for either one of us! She's cranky and tired, but just refuses to sleep. All the tried and true tricks aren't working well either. We think she might just be trying to catch up on eating since she's sleeping so long at night, so I'm trying to nurse her more often in the day. But we are both tired and cranky again! :)
Breastfeeding. Ugh. She and I just can't seem to get on the same page! Things were finally starting to feel okay, when suddenly she became aware that she had to wait for milk about 5 minutes into her feeding. And boy is she impatient! She yells at me, and pops on and off the breast, and then eventually gets so frustrated she cries...and me too sometimes. I try switching sides which will help a little. Sometimes I just make us take a 15 minute break and try again. It's frustrating and makes nursing take even longer than it used to, and neither of us leaves it with the warm fuzzies. Add to that my anxiety about her weight gain, and there are days I am ready to give up! But we are going to keep trying. I really want to breastfeed for a year. She has a pediatrician appointment tomorrow so we will see how she measures up!
She loves to read stories, and turns the pages and only sometimes tries to eat the books!
She's awesome when we go out, and has yet to throw an embarrassing fit (knock on wood!). She loves walks in the stroller or the baby carriers, and cranes her little head to see everything!
Her hair is getting long and blonde! And her eyes are still mostly steely blue, but her right eye has a slash of green brown growing. She still loves bath time, and adores music. I love the way she coos along sometimes!
Other monents I love:
When I'm rocking her and suddenly she melts into my arms, a sleeping beauty.
The way she plays with our faces, especially my hair and Kevin's beard!
The way she will smile hugely and then get embarrassed and look away.
The way she's starting to really coffe me.
How she cranes to find me or Kevin when we leave a room.
Watching her concentrate to accomplish something, like grabbing her feet or getting something into her mouth.
Seeing her changing every day into this little personality and just falling more and more in love with her and our little family
Happy 4 months, Talia!!!
Edited: We just got back from her pediatrician appointment. Well, she has not gained as much weight as we would have hoped, but the doctor isn't overly concerned. She wants me to see a lactation specialist again to see how much she is taking in during a normal feeding. Today she weighed 11 pounds 13.5 oz, which is the 7th percentile...So she really is my tiny sprite! We ended up doing a nursing while there to weigh her before and after. I'd fed her about an hour and a half earlier, so wasn't expecting too much. She took in about 2 ounces. During a normal feeding she should be eating about 4 ounces. So we might just have a little lady with a very high metabolism, or she might not be taking things in as efficiently as she could. We shall see...
4 month stats:
Height: 24.8" - 65th %ile
Weight: 11 lbs 13.5 oz - 7th %ile
Cuteness factor: Infinite :)
4 month stats:
Height: 24.8" - 65th %ile
Weight: 11 lbs 13.5 oz - 7th %ile
Cuteness factor: Infinite :)















No comments:
Post a Comment