Saturday, June 11, 2016

Baby boy Shaffer!

I'm a bit behind in blogging.  And laundry.  And exercise.  And a million other things. But we have exciting things coming our way, namely a baby boy arriving sometime in mid September!!!! Hooray!!!


We decided that since Talia is turning out exceptionally well, we should probably take the plunge for a second baby before we got too comfortable with life and felt like we have a handle on this whole parenting thing!  

My pregnancy is going well so far!  I will be 26 weeks tomorrow!  The first trimester was more difficult this time, as I had near constant nausea and threw up quite a lot more.  And I was waaaaay more exhausted! Like we would put Talia to bed at 7pm and I'd be out cold within  15 minutes.  Luckily that all ended around 13-14 weeks, and I've felt great since then!

Feeling so much different this time made me feel certain we were having a boy this time, and lo and behold, a boy it is!


He's growing well! In fact, measuring about a week ahead of time! He was in the 95th percentile for height, weight, and head circumference at our 20 week scan!  Not sure I'll be so lucky to have an under 8 pounder this time!! 

We are planning a home birth, and hoping it works out this time!  We really like our new midwives, who are both Certified Nurse Midwives, which means they have a lot more tools in their arsenal should things go less than ideally.  Kate has accepted her fate as my doula once again, for which we are truly grateful! She was so incredible during the whole process with Talia, I can't really imagine doing this without her!!


Talia is taking it all in stride so far!  She of course has no idea how much her world is going to change, but we talk about it all the time.  She knows baby brother is in my tummy, and that he's growing and will be coming soon! She gives him hugs and kisses and talks to him sometimes.  She also has been saying she has a baby in her tummy too, which is so cute!!!  We have been talking to her a lot about how she's a big girl, and all the things she can do that baby won't be able to do.  I'm a little (okay, a lot!) nervous about the transition for her to being a sister and not the absolute center of my attention at all times, but she's such an incredible kid, I know it will all get there eventually!

My weight gain has been good, just about even with my last pregnancy, which is incredible considering how sloth like I've been!  I take my gestational diabetes test next week. I'm just going straight for a 2 hour test this time, which will be diagnostic and save me the headache of having to do 2 tests this time!  Crossing my fingers that I don't have it, but I know this time that it isn't a huge deal and we will cross that bridge if needed.  And that it's NOT ANYTHING I DID if I do have GD.  

As for our little lady, she will be 2 years old in 2 weeks! My baby is decidedly not a baby any longer, but a full fledged toddler.  She is totally amazing!  She's incredibly verbal, speaking in full, often grammatically correct sentences.  She astounds me with the words she knows and her ability to communicate at her age.  She also is funny as all get out!  She's starting to crack little jokes, and pretends a ton. She's tall, and beautiful, and so so sweet!  We love watching her become this independent little woman, who knows how to assert herself and loves babies and eats berries by the pound and continues to be a fairly uncoordinated little toddler! She's the best!









No comments: