Monday, July 21, 2008

Tomato Basil Tart

I have been obsessed with making a savory tart for several weeks now, and was finally afforded the opportunity last night when Kevin did not already have an idea for dinner! I had been really wanting to make a Tomato Tart because I kept seeing this book at work with a delicious photo of one on its cover. So yesterday I set about finding a recipe. It wasn't as easy as I had thought, but I pieced some things together and it turned out really well! It was more of a tomato quiche because I am still wary of using tart pans. I mean, seriously, the bottoms COME OUT of them! And I was pouring liquid in! Sheesh! Of course I know they work, but I am still not ready to make that leap. :)

I made the crust from scratch from this recipe, and added in a tablespoon or so of italian seasoning which completely made the crust! Wow, it was yummy! Of course, I had a minor mishap when I misread the recipe and added 2 cups of water instead of 2 tablespoons. Oh and I halved the recipe, because I only needed one crust.

Then, I found this recipe for the filling. I added fresh basil from our garden. So good! I love using ingredients grown in my yard! I had to cook it for a very long time though. It said to bake for 20-30 minutes, but it was still very soupy at that point, so we kept putting it back in for 10 minutes at a time. I think it ended up being about an hour cooking time, plus we let it cool on the counter for about 10 minutes. And it was delicious! We ate half of it last night, and then couldn't resist the other half tonight! Oops...good thing my wedding dress is forgiving!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

And it was not just good, it was delicious! I definitely think the fresh-picked basil made the meal. And the herbed crust. And the...