Saturday, January 31, 2009

Football Fever!!!

And by football, I mean soccer. I haven't figured out what is the appropriate term for the sport in the US! I prefer soccer I think. Anyway, Kevin and I are super excited for the start of the Seattle Sounders FC season on March 19th. We decided to get a 7 game package for the first season of the team with Adam and Erin, and I think it is fair to say we are all pumped!!!

Last week, Kevin and I went to the George and Dragon in Fremont for a fundraiser for Seattle Scores hosted by the Sounders, and got to see the GM, the coach, and the goalie, who happens to be Kasey Keller, who has been on 4 World Cup teams, and some Olympic teams. He also was the first American to play in Europe on an American passport. And he's funny as hell! It was really cool to hear them talk about the upcoming season, but I didn't have my camera, so no pics with Sigi or Kasey :(

Then this afternoon, Kevin and I headed to Tukwila to see a scrimmage game of the Seattle Sounders Super Search team versus the Seattle Wolves FC. The Sounders FC will be picking one person from the Super Search team tomorrow to get a spot on the roster. I was really excited to see the talent, and was a little disappointed with the caliber of playing that went on, but it was a fun game anyhow! The Wolves looked pretty awesome, but the Search team never really got it together. There were a couple players who stood out to me, so I'll be rooting for Oliveira in the final tomorrow!


My totally rockin' Pumas that match the Sounders colors!

The Super Search team

Seattle Wolves FC



We're considering going to the live announcement tomorrow night after the Super Bowl, but it depends on how exciting the game is! Go Cardinals!!!!!

I also made a really excellent soup a couple of nights ago that my dad gave me the recipe for. It is Farro with white beans and chard soup, and it turned out really yummy! We replaced the farro with wheatberries because we couldn't find farro, and it seemed like a good substitute for size and texture. One note, wheatberries really should be soaked overnight, which I didn't realize until after I'd nearly finished making the soup! Other than that, I have no complaints! I'm not sure where he got the recipe from, but here it is:

Farro Soup with White Beans and Swiss Chard
Serves 6

1 cup farro
2 (15oz.) cans white beans (any variety)
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 medium carrot chopped
1 rib celery coarsely chopped
1 sprig rosemary
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups swiss chard chopped
1/2 tsp. ea. salt & pepper

Rinse farro. Puree 1 can of the beans with the liquid in food processor or blender. Drain remaining can of beans. Pour oil into a heavy, 6qt. pot. Heat over medium-high heat and saute onion for 4 minutes ort until softened. Add garlic, carrot celery and rosemary sprig. Saute for 8 minutes. Stir in farro, tomatoes, bean puree, whole beans and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until farro is almost done, about 30 minutes. Add chard, salt and pepper. Continue simmering until farro is tender. Remove rosemary sprig and serve.


Yum yum! Tonight we are having some sort of lamb roast that Kevin is making and it smells sooooooooo good! Making me hungry!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jealous.

I heard a Wolves player quoted as saying that the Super Searchers were going to have to work for it. And so: Apparently that English bloke headed to the hospital.

How many people were there?

46 days, 2 hours, 7 minutes, 4 seconds.

Meghan said...

I'm awful at guessing attendance, but I'd say a couple hundred people were there. Mostly Wolves fans it seemed. That guy got hit hard, that picture of the guy on the ground is him. First minute of play! Sucks for him.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, no kidding. According to "Evening Magazine," he sold his car so he could fly here and try out. He was likable, but he wasn't going to win. It should be interesting to watch tomorrow.

Sure, root for the cute Brazilian barista.

Anonymous said...

I'M JEALOUS, TOO! Soccer!!! I LOVE SOCCER!!!