Thursday, March 19, 2009

Seattle Sounders, I loved you before I met you...

And now that I have, I love you even more!!!! Tonight was the first match for the Seattle Sounders FC at Qwest Field. 30,000 fans, green and blue scarves waving proudly, marching from Pioneer Square to the stadium, chants, screaming, scoring goals - what could be better?! It was an awesome way to kick off the season, and I am officially a diehard fan!

We got tickets with Adam, Erin, Susan, and Neal, so Adam and Erin came down to our place this afternoon with Corbin, and Susan and Mark came over from the island. Grandpa Mark graciously offered to babysit the little monkey while we were at the game! We were all super pumped, and of course had our awesome scarves that Kevin had scored us, plus we each had something green or blue on to show our pride! I knitted Corbin a Sounders scarf this week so he could be decked out, too!

Checking out his soccer, he's ready to play!

Sounders fan from infancy!

We headed down to the match early to march with other fans, and hear some higher ups talk, and get pumped! Drew Carey (one of the owners of the team) and Tony Ventrella, plus some other folks got the crowd excited to start the march to the stadium!

Sounders take to the streets!

Think Adam is a little excited? Check out the sweet jersey Erin got him for Christmas!

Neal, Susan, and Kevin show off their scarves


I knitted my hat over the last couple of days out of the leftover yarn from Corb's scarf! Look ma, earflaps!

The man in black behind Adam is Adrian Hanauer, the Sounders General Manager! Pretty sweet photo, if I do say so myself!


The pitch!

There's Drew Carey


Look at all those fans! It looked so awesome when everyone raised their scarves and waved them around!

Beautiful view of the city from our seats!

And the players take the field!

The game could not have been more exciting! The Sounders scored their first goal in the first 12 minutes of the game, and went on to score two more. The New York Red Bull did not score any the entire game, and actually didn't even have that many shots on goal. Fredy Montero scored two of our goals, which was the first time since 2005 that a player making their major league debut has scored twice in the same game! How exciting! Kasey Keller made some stellar stops at the goal, and many of the other players (I will learn who you are soon!) did an awesome job. All in all, I had an amazing time, and I can't wait for next weekend's matchup against Salt Lake City Real!

Kevin and I have a long weekend together! He is done with finals for the quarter and on spring break, so I decided to take tomorrow and Monday off to spend some time with him. Tomorrow we are going out to breakfast with Adam and Erin and some friends, and then Saturday we are babysitting Jackson while Nate has his first Tai Kwon Do meet! Other than that, we aren't sure what we are going to do with ourselves, but it will be nice to have a little mini vacation! Hooray!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Woohoo! Go Sounders!

What an awesome game, one of the most exciting sporting events I've ever been to. I did lots of jumping and screaming, something I just plain don't do except for maybe Mariners playoff games.

I can't wait for next week!

Unknown said...

Oh am I jealous!!! It looks like you had a wonderful time!! Hat looks awesome and the little scarf!! Too cute!! You guys have quite the life!