Monday, August 17, 2009

An Evening of Music

For my Father's Day present to my darling papa, Kevin and I decided to take him to see a concert at the zoo and out to dinner. When I found out that one of my all time favorite musicians, Nanci Griffith, was playing, I knew that was the concert we would be going to!

Nanci Griffith is one of those singers that means home to me. Growing up, my dad was always playing the guitar and singing, and there are certain artists that I hear and just feel close to my dad. My dad and I have always enjoyed singing together, and Nanci's songs have always been in a good range for my voice, and a good challenge for my dad on the guitar. The first time I sang in public was the Across the Great Divide, at Seabold Second Saturday. I was 13 years old I think, and completely petrified! I got up in front of a pretty big crowd, and just had the best time ever singing to everyone! When I got married last summer, I knew just what I wanted to have my father-daughter dance to, Turn Around. (Don't mind the video with it!) My dad used to sing this to me when I was young. There are so many songs that make me feel homesick and right at home all at the same time! So, Nanci holds a very special place in my heart, and I was beyond excited to take my favorite guys to see her last night!

Me and Daddy catching the last of the sun rays before the start of the show/


It was a fabulous concert, and if you don't know Nanci's music yet, I highly recommend getting to know her! Thanks for such a great evening guys!

No comments: