Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Holiday Feast

For Valentines Day, Kevin wanted to make me a Chinese New Year Feast to celebrate, and I do not turn down husband-made food. My man can cook! :) He wanted everything to be a surprise, so he went off shopping on his own, and came back with vast quantities of Chinese ingredients, and set to work at 10am! First on the menu were pork pot stickers, or Jiaozi, which are said to resemble gold nuggets and bring wealth in the new year! Let me tell you, once you have had homemade potstickers, the frozen ones from Costco just won't cut it anymore! Luckily, he made lots, so we have some frozen for when my next pot sticker craving strikes!

Pork+ginger+garlic+green onions=YUM!



What a pro! Perfectly filled!

Yeah, you can start drooling anytime now!

The final one was a fatty, needed to be photoed!
He served these as appetizers before he got down to the business of dinner cooking! I just kept "mmmmmm, mmmmmm"ing the entire time I was eating them!

On the menu for dinner was Chow Fun, a beef, bell pepper, and noodle pile of deliciousness! It is traditional to eat noodles for the new year, and one is supposed to eat each noodle without breaking it. This is difficult for the chopstick-impaired! I couldn't believe how good this tasted, and I have been thoroughly enjoying leftovers! We also had Jiangcai, which were amazing sauteed bok choy and broccoli veggies in oyster sauce.



For dessert, he made nian gao, which was...interesting. It wasn't the best thing on the menu, but it satisfied the need for dessert nonetheless! :) Overall, a totally amazing New Year/Valnetines celebration! Thank you for spoiling me, Kevin! :)

Yesterday, Kevin had the day off to celebrate some presidents or something, so he took some gorgeous photos in the yard while the sun was shining! Everything is so pretty! So excited to continue seeing what comes up in the yard!
Camellia I mean azalea, thanks Susan!

Vinca

A much better photo of the pink thing!

Crocus

Pussywillow!

The crocuses just keep coming!

In addition to viewing the Olympics, I'm also participating in them. The Knitting Olympics that is! I know, I'm such a nerd! :) Basically, the idea is to knit something that will be challenging to complete between the lighting and extinguishing of the Olympic torch. I don't have the greatest sense of how much I can knit when I set my mind to it, but I think I chose a good project. I can't show exactly what I'm making, because it's a present for my baby niece coming in July (squeeeeeeal, a girl!!!!!) but here's a sneak peek at it! It's coming along quite nicely, and I have full faith that I will be able to finish before the torch is extinguished at the end of the Vancouver Games.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Yes, we have three more nian gao here if anyone wants them...I think we're just not fans of the rice flour. But the name nian gao is a homonym for "higher year" so people eat them for new years. Anyway, thank goodness for living next to a Central Market with a very helpful grocer in the vast Asian foods aisles!

bi mom in nicaragua said...

Yum!! Looks so good!! What a wonderful way to celebrate!
Your flowers look great tho the top one is an azalea I believe. seeing orchids here and plenty of gorgeous birds!