I am really struggling with this. I'm disappointed because I have worked so hard to get my weight to a good place over the last few years, and especially the last year before we got pregnant. I'd been going to the gym 3-4 times a week, and mostly eating a healthy diet. I know I eat a lot healthier than most people I know. Sure, I eat way too much cheese, but we rarely eat out, I don't eat fast food, almost nothing in our house comes in a package, we eat almost exclusively organic, with tons of fresh produce and lean meats. I've gained pretty minimally with this pregnancy, only 16 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight, which I feel really really good about. I feel pretty deflated right now. I am still crossing my fingers, but I do have several factors working against me in this regard. I have a close family member with Diabetes, I am still overweight, and I am over 30 years old.
Of course, it is a completely manageable thing. I know that in my heart. It just really sucks to have done pretty much everything right, but still maybe have my body not do this job properly. It is bringing up all kinds of body issues for me that I have struggled with for most of my life, and had really thought I had put mostly behind me after I got myself down to within 5 pounds of a normal weight for my height.
So what have I been doing? Of course obsessing about what to eat, regardless of how things go this week! I've been on all kinds of gestational diabetes website and forums, trying to see how others have managed this. It's overwhelming in some ways, but most of the dietary restrictions are things I already follow. I'll need to cut my carbs, but I'm not a huge bread/pasta person anyway. And I don't generally have a sweet tooth. There were a couple weeks where I was definitely craving sweets big time, but that seems to have passed. Hopefully, if I do have GD, I will be able to manage it with diet and exercise and not go on medication.
So I'm looking even more closely at what I eat, going to measure my portions more carefully, and try to get even more low starch veggies into my diet. And up my exercise. I've been going to the gym pretty consistently 2 times a week, and Kevin and I have started doing yoga together (he does it 3 times a week) plus we usually go for a good long walk at least once a week. I think I need to throw in some walks during my work day (which also will likely help ease my back pain...)
Coupled with the back issues I have been dealing with for the last 2 weeks, I'm a little bit glum. Kevin pointed out that I can't do everything perfectly with this pregnancy, which I know, of course, but I was really enjoying have a pretty picture perfect pregnancy!! :) I am getting a sit/stand station at work, hopefully this week, and I have been really conscious of my body mechanics to try to ease the aches. My midwife suggested I see a physical therapist as well, since the back pain is likely to just get worse as this goes along and I could get some good tips. We'll see if I can squeeze that In somewhere! :)
On the positive: Frammy is growing at a perfect rate, and has moved from tranverse lie position. Her head is down. and Kevin and I actually got to feel it at our appointment this week! She's still not quite where we would like her, but I am glad she's moved about a bit, and think all the pelvic tilts I've been doing for my back pain have helped her out! :)
My uterus measured 29 centimeters this week, so it grew 2 centimeters in the last 3 weeks. Her heart rate was 140, and she is my little wiggle worm! I love every single kick and punch and roll she dishes out, even at 3 in the morning! We are both getting more and more antsy for the big day to arrive and have our little daughter in our arms!
![]() |
| 27 weeks, that there is a baby bump! |
![]() |
| 24 weeks vs 27 weeks. Brutal Sounders game...but they made up for it this weekend with a WILD Cascadia match against the Timbers! |



No comments:
Post a Comment