Friday, September 5, 2014

10 weeks!

IThese last couple of weeks have brought more joy than frustration, more laughter than tears!  Talia is growing into a pretty alright kind of gal, and I feel like I am settling into motherhood a bit more.  We are getting a good rhythm to our days together.  I'm learning her cues for when she is hungry or tired better, which is translating into a far less grumpy Talia!



She is cooing a ton!  The other night I was singing to her while getting her ready for bed.  I was trying desperately to think of lullabies, and coming up short! Then I remembered "somewhere out there" from  An American Tail is soft and sweet and began singing it. Wouldn't you know, she chimed right in with her own additions!  It was so sweet, and definitely the most interactive she's been! 

She's on the verge of giggling. I know it might be another few weeks, but she gets this adorable anticipatory squirm and huge grin when we do something she thinks is funny.  She had made some one syllable "ha" sounds very once in awhile. For now though, that smile of hers is pretty much the most incredible thing in the world to me.  If she's been cranky for awhile and I can coax a grin out, oh the sweetness! 

She's playing a ton with her animals on her playmat.  She's figured out she can hit and kick them, and occasionally does it with purpose.  Recently, when reading books to her, she has started reaching out and touching the pages.  Methinks it is time to get some tactile books on her shelf like Pat the Bunny!

I think I am about ready to put weight worries behind me.  At her 2 month checkup, her doctor suggested I try pumping first thing in the morning before feeding her to see how I get. If I got between 3-4 ounces, she thought that was great. If not, I could start looking into doing some things to increase my supply.  The first time I did it. I got about 2.75 ounces. Very close.  So I decided to try out some fenugreek to see if that would help bump me up, and also eating more oats and drinking mothers milk tea everyday.  Last weekend when I pumped, I got 3.5 ounces one morning, and 3.75 the next!  Yay!!! Those sessions were then bottled up and fed to her by Kevin, those killing two birds with one stone! We apparently are supposed to give her a bottle a couple times a week to make sure she keeps taking one.  We hadn't done that! :) but she has zero issues with the bottle, she just wants her food!

I've also been pumping once each morning now after her first nursing when we have gotten up for the day. I've gotten varying amounts depending on if I wait 20 minutes versus closer to an hour, but I'm pleased with the little stockpile I am building in the freezer for those date nights and Sounders games Kevin and I need to go on! :) 

I also got her weighed this week at a drop in breastfeeding support group.  I was hoping against hope that she had maintained her half ounce a day weight gain, so was thinking she would be about 10 lbs 1 ounce.  To my surprise and delight, she came in just over 10 lbs 7 oz!!!  That's nearly an ounce a day in the last two weeks! Woohoo! I don't know how much was the fenugreek, and how much was just her wanting to pack on a little more, but I was thrilled! I've stopped taking the fenugreek, so I am going to go back in 2 weeks again to check in, but obviously we can do this! I might need to be more diligent about keeping up my supply, but I know I have the capacity now!

Today has been awesome.  She had a really good sleep last night, only waking at 1:30 and 5:30, and both times went right back to sleep after eating and diaper change. I woke up at 8am and was enjoying laying in bed.  She started stirring, so I was gearing up for her to start crying. I looked over in her bassinet, and her eyes were wide open, staring at the ceiling with this huuuuuge grin on her face! She has never woken up happy!! So I let her lat there for a bit, then decided to pull her in bed and see if I could get a cuddle out of her, which never works. She usually starts screaming if we don't get down to business of eating. But this time she stayed happy and we played in bed for about 10 minutes before she got restless! It was wonderful!!!!!  Then late this morning, I took a blanket outside to see if she would lay in the shade and be happy. We played outside for about 30 minutes! Yay!!!! She's not just a crying eating pooping machine anymore!

Naps are going so much better. We started swaddling her (duuuuuuh) and got a white noise app on my old phone, plus my yoga ball back from a friend.  She is usually asleep within 5 minutes of bouncing on it, and stays asleep anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes! Which means I can get some things done around the house (quietly, she still wakes easily from household noise) and get some me time! I am currently sitting in the backyard enjoying the sunshine and a little lunch!  

So another couple of weeks, and a lot of wonderful changes!  We are enjoying her so much, and I know I say this every post, but I can't wait to see what the next 2 weeks will bring!



No comments: