Thursday, January 8, 2015

Solids!

We introduced Talia to solid foods the day after Christmas.  It's going really well with the exception of some digestive issues!  So far, she's tried rice cereal, avocado, sweet potato, and oatmeal.  True to her roots, avocado is far and away her favorite so far!

Getting ready for her first bite!

She ate up her rice cereal the first day, but her interest in it seems to be waning with each new food.  It also blocked her up pretty well, so her doctor suggested we switch to oatmeal.  We tried it this morning and she loves it! Just like her daddy!

I'm so excited to be introducing new flavors  and textures to her, and giving her a first step toward independent eating.  I hope we are able to raise an adventurous eater, and that she has a healthy relationship with food.  

On that note, we had her 6 month check up on Tueaday, and besides those wicked shots, it was such a great visit!  She is now 14 pounds 3 oz, which is the 12th percentile, and 26 inches which I think was near 50th percentile.  This was her best 2 week weight gain, and I haven't been on fenugreek or pumping nearly as much, so that was super!  We are going to continue with 2 week weight checks at least another month, and then hopefully feel good enough to drop down to once a month.  We were both really anxious about this one because she hadn't been pooping much and was sleeping long stretches at night like when she didn't put in any weight a couple months ago.  We give her an extra bottle from my freezer stash every couple days, so we were hopeful it was enough, but have some PTSD about the whole thing!  We will continue to offer her an extra bottle every couple days, or when she's super cranky.  I have about 20 more bags in the freezer, so that should get us through to the 7th month before we would need to switch to formula.  What an emotional roller coaster this has all been!

Mmm sweet potato!

We got a little messy with the avocado!

It's so interesting trying to balance making sure she is getting enough milk with making sure she developes good eating habits!  On the one hand, we are so encouraging of her guzzling down whatever, but on the other hand we don't want to ruin her natural abilities to say she's full.  I hope we can come to a more comfortable place soon.  At the very least, we are giving her wonderful, organic, nutritious foods now, and will always encourage an active and healthy lifestyle.  I just have so many fears and built up anxiety that she will struggle with her weight as I have.  But ( smacks self upside the head!) she's only 6 months old and we are doing fine and she is amazing and wonderful, and good gravy is she ever beautiful! :)


In a couple days I think we will try some carrots and then maybe spinach!  We are holding off on fruit a bit just to make sure she doesn't start favoring the sweet stuff too early!  I have some pears and a tiny bottle of baby prunes on hand for emergencies though! :)

In other exciting news, she finally figured out how to roll from back to front a couple days ago, and good golly she is on the move now!  I set her in the living room this morning while I was making my breakfast, and I came back in to find she had rolled clear across the room!!  And now she is rolling basically everytime I set her down, which makes diaper changes challenging, to say the least! 

What, did you think I was just gonna lie here when there are slats to play with?!

Baby-proofing, here we come!

No comments: